Monday, May 31, 2010

Let the anticipation begin!

Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch.
--E.B. White, Charlotte's Web

In January of this year Chris and I took a spontaneous trip to Branson.  It was there that we discussed "our" plans for a baby.  We realized that although we could try to "plan" as best we could, God would step in and show that His plan is ultimately better for us and that His timing is perfect. Not always when expected, but still right on time.  As always.

We are PREGNANT! 
We found out early this morning (Monday), but this was at the end of that day. :)

We decided that we would start trying for a baby this summer, so I went to the doctor to ask a ton of questions!  My doctor said that it was fine to get off birth control about 3 months before you really want to start trying just to get it out of your system.  She said it could take anywhere from 1 month to 1 year for a healthy couple to get pregnant and that was perfectly normal.  Since we wanted to start trying in July, we went ahead and got off the birth control the first week in April.  As April and May flew by, I had several symptoms, but just chalked it up to "my body trying to get used to all the changes". (I had stopped taking birth control and drinking caffeine and anything carbonated.)  It was getting used to the changes alright!  By the time I took 2 tests and went to the doctor on May 26th, I was already 7 weeks along! Woah, we knew it was possible, but not likely to happen so quickly!  It was amazing how one (or two) little tests can look you straight in the eye and tell you that you are going to be a mommy.  Or a daddy. It was powerful.

We were just beside ourselves with excitement!  Could it really be true? I literally had to blink a few times and my mouth was wide open at the results.

I only took a test because Sunday night in the middle of the night I felt a "flutter". It woke me up and was the oddest thing I had ever felt.  My mind got to racing thinking about the possibility of being pregnant and I eventually fell back asleep. I had lots of dreams about it that night.  So many, that when I woke up I decided that I was just going to take a test.  I left Chris asleep in the bed and quietly took the test.  It said PREGNANT almost immediately and I ran into the room and said, "Chris, WAKE UP, this thing says I'm pregnant!!!"  I'm actually thinking about using that line every morning from now on because nothing has EVER woken him up so quickly! He wanted the light and his glasses!  And a towel because apparently I went running in there so quickly that I did not pay any attention to the drops that I had left on the test!  Ooops! I was a little in shock! ;)  He forgave me and told me to get in there and take another one! I took about a 2 minute shower, unsure as to whether or not I used shampoo or even soap, and then I got out and took another one......again, in under a minute it read PREGNANT.  I started screaming and ran back in there. He could not believe his eyes. In fact, his exact words were, "Oh wow, I've got to get up and start studying......it's going to be a looonngg day."  Haha! He knew that I would be bouncing off the walls and making phone calls and that he would do the same, but when would he find the time?  He has the Step 1 test for medical school in less than a month.  The stress and excitement began and we were both unsure as to where to focus our thoughts. I called my mom, but got no answer, and then Anna was next.  She picked up immediately.  We laughed and giggled and got chill bumps! :) Phone call after phone call, text after text.  Everyone was SO excited! :)  I immediately called the doctor to make an appointment and get it confirmed.  For 2 days, we thought, "What if the tests were wrong?"  "What if we told all of our family and friends and it's really not going to happen?"  Woo, we were little balls of stress! I got to my appointment and they called me back early.

It only took a few minutes and then we were able to sigh a HUGE sigh of relief.

I told my friend Chelsea and we immediately started coming up with ideas for our Wednesday Night Dinner and how to reveal it to the group.  It didnt take long. With the help of her husband, it was done. :)

Most of you probably recognize our Christmas card from last year......with a few updates!:)  I thought this was so HILARIOUS.  The Prego slogan really is "It's In There".  It doesn't get much better than that. :)

We gave these as little favors and announcements to the group after dinner...


The girls were about as shocked as I was because they knew we had just started trying.  They were delighted and were already talking about all things baby! :)

Priceless.

You can refer to Chelsea's blog for a full recap of the wonderful night! :)  But we ended it with cake from Mickey's.  And you KNOW how much I love Mickey's.  It was such a memorable night, thank you, Chelsea for everything you did!

Yum!

And the gifts have already started coming. What!?  Really?

First from my lovely friend, Jill.  You should also check out her blog for a very sweet post.  I just love her! The sweetest little frame and bath towel!

And the next was from the wonderful, Kristin!  So thoughtful and it was so cute, I didn't even want to touch it and mess it up!

We are beyond blessed and have just been trying to soak it all in these past few days.  So many kind words have been received through conversation, email, text, and facebook.  Apparently some of our friends think that we will be wonderful parents and we can't wait to give it our best shot. January will be here in no time! We have learned that pregnancy is not earned.  It is not a reward for good works.  It is simply a gift.  A blessing.  Gifts and blessings are not always deserved.  But we will graciously accept it and are praying day and night for wisdom.  We will need all the help we can get.  Thank You God for our little blessing and for our supportive friends and family. We ask and pray for a good, healthy pregnancy. Please keep us safe. 

5 comments:

  1. Love the post girl. You are a great writer! You will be so glad that you have all of that written down. I love you and am overcome with joy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new look! I also like this post, but most of all I love what the post is about :) (cheesy, I know). Glad you got to spend the weekend with Annabelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to you both! We're very excited for you and you're just going to make a wonderful family! Big Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so happy for you. Congratulations. Love how you told everyone. You are absolutely right it is a true gift from God. May your pregnancy be healthy! We can't wait to meet him/her in January...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations from Hanna's mom! Hanna told me about it this weekend and I couldn't wait to read about it :)

    ReplyDelete