Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sprucing Up!

“The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers.
-Thich Nhat Hanh

The previous owners of our house did such a great job giving our house some curb appeal and we have done a terrible job at keeping it up. The flowers came in this spring and last and they looked beautiful for a few days and then all we were left with was weeds. I have NO experience in planting things and asked my mom if she would help me. She was delighted because she is ALWAYS working on something at her house. We have been waiting on a nice weekend to get started, but it took awhile. There was a chance of rain this weekend, but we decided to go for it anyways. She came by and looked at the flower beds. They were in bad shape.
Dead flowers, no color whatsoever.

So, she did some thinking about what we needed and we headed to Lowes.


She even did most of the work at Lowes.  That mulch is no joke! Each bag had to weigh anywhere from 40 to 50 lbs. a piece!

We got home and realized that she never had her phone with her.  We looked all around the house and couldn't find it.  She and Chris started walking up the street and found the back cover and her case, but no phone! :/ We think she layed it down on the back of the truck to get some things out and then we took off. I think someone stopped and picked up the phone so we had the service suspended until she can get a new one.  Good thing I talked her into getting insurance in case anything unexpected ever happened!

After this we decided to get started.  The weather wasn't looking too promising, and sure enough it started to sprinkle.  Mom wasn't phased a bit....she just got to digging!  I had no idea how easy it was to "plant" flowers! I just hope I can keep these up.  Chris may be in trouble now that I know "how" to do it and have seen all the flowers that are out there for me to purchase! :) Now......I can't name them, but I can sure buy them and plant them! Ha!

Me and Mom's favorite.

Don't now why but I REALLY liked this one.

So pretty with the dark mulch.


This one was for Chris. "Elephant Ears" make him think of his Granny. :)

The finished product.

Ahh!


Hard to see in the shade, but it looks good to me! :)

Thank you, Momma! We love it! :) And we love YOU!

3 comments:

  1. Looks great, and what a fun day with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing your Mom pulling the cart in Lowe's reminded me of Grandma. Your Mom is a very hard worker like Grandma was and always put her kids first. Grandma didn't have plants outside but she sure had a knack for indoor plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so good! Isn't it so satisfying when you do something like that? And it'll look even better when they grow a little more :)

    ReplyDelete