Thursday, May 13, 2010

Walgreens....Oh, how I love thee! Let me count the ways!


“It is the neglect of timely repair that makes rebuilding necessary.”
-Richard Whatley

Well the day is upon us.  May 12, 2010.  The Walgreens that is 30 seconds down the street from my house FINALLY opened.  The couple that we bought the house from told us about the rumor circulating that there was to be a Walgreens where the Economy Inn was located.  We tried not to get our hopes up because after all, the motel was still in business for at least a year after we moved in.  Even once doors were boarded up, people still broke in to it. I cannot tell you how much excitement was within me when I found out it was true that  a Walgreens was coming. (Of course I stopped my car to ask the construction workers what they were doing.) You can ask my friends, they will tell you.  I would give weekly updates on the progress and drive by even when it was out of my way to check on how things were going during construction.  Some of you may wonder why I am SO excited about a Walgreens.  Well there are a of couple reasons....

1.  The dump that used to be in the place of the Walgreens that brought a lot of drugs and really scary people to the area. I mean this new Walgreens has GOT to bring up property value of our neighborhood!

2.  The sheer convenience of being able to run 30 seconds down the street to get things like milk, prescriptions, toothpaste, sour cream, face wash, lint rollers, hangers, batteries, photos developed, makeup, magazines, fiber bars (ha!), highlighters, digiorno, dish soap, shampoo.....and well, you get the picture.  The list is endless.  Its super convenient! Some of it was over priced of course, but as for those other *necessities, I think we will be just fine.

In case you can't remember the run down motel that used to sit there, let me help refresh your memory.
This picture actually makes it look a little better than it really was. (Picture compliments of Google Maps ;) Don't be fooled.  Here is a review that I found from one unhappy customer.

Scary: July 28, 2006
35 year old with a moderate budget, traveling for leisure


I spent one night at the Economy inn and it was awful. I thought the roaches were going to eat me in my sleep. I also saw remains of drug paraphernalia. The price of one night is comparable to that of a Motel Six. I will never visit this establishment again.

There you have it folks.  It was BAD.  Once they began construction, I kept up with it weekly and I must say the progress was really slow.  I took this picture back in September because I was so excited that there was "proof".  Aside from the tearing down of the building and the construction workers telling me that a Walgreens was going up.

I was sitting at the stop light when I took this picture. You can see the Walgreens sign in the distance that says coming soon. :) It's kind of crazy.  There used to be houses right bere beside the motel.

Well now here we are almost 9 months later and it is finally OPEN!  I planned to go this morning to "look around" before work, but I was on the phone and did not want to be distracted while I was in there. Ha!  I opted to go after work instead, but thought I would stop at home first.  Then, Chris said he would go with me. Chelsea called to see if we wanted to ride with her to dinner and I told her that we were going by the Walgreens, but that she was welcome to go.  So we all went!

So excited!

Ahh..milk. And its not even expensive.

Thank you for listening on as I rant about something as simple as a Walgreens.  It doesn't take much for me. :) Life is good. Can you imagine how I will be when the Target Super Center opens in October?  It will be 4 minutes away from our house! Oh, the possibilities! :)

2 comments:

  1. I heard rumors of the Super Target too! Where is it going to be? Are you working at Park Plaza's Houndstooth? If so I need to stop by when I'm over there. :) I've been meaning to tell you too that I have a TON of friends that have done med school at UAMS recently so if Chris ever needs anything, please let me know and I can put him in touch with them. Take care girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love Walgreens! They have saved me many times and you don't have to hassle with the horrible lines and the abundance of germs Wal- Mart has to offer! I do so miss you sweet friend! Can we get together?

    ReplyDelete